Our Leadership Training Program
Ascending Lights students acquire leadership skills through three vehicles.
- A foundation for leadership is built by the students’ taking required classes at the community college in public speaking, computer literacy and advanced English.
- Each Ascending Lights student attends required Christian Leadership seminars conducted by the agency or outside resources. These seminars take place on Saturdays four times a year.
- Ascending Lights mentors teach and reinforce healthy leadership and life skills during their weekly meetings with their students.
The Christian Leadership Seminar
The purpose of the Christian Leadership seminar is to teach participants specific practical skills that can immediately be put to use in youth groups or other social service outreach ministries. A small group exercise format is used. This enables the participants to thoroughly experience and practice the skills being taught. Materials are provided that can be duplicated in other church venues. Many of these same materials are available for downloading on this web site and can be accessed on the Leadership Training Exercises page.
The following are recent Ascending Lights Leadership Seminar topics:
- What is Christian Leadership?
- Stewardship of God’s Gifts
- Seven Steps to Personal Excellence
- Making Effective Decisions
- Faith and the Problem of Evil in the World
- Planning a Successful Retreat
- Achieving our Goals and Dreams and Overcoming Self Sabotaging Behavior
- Achieving Excellence in Small Group Leadership
- How to Network and Raise Funds for Your Ministry
- Conflict Transformation
- Peer Counseling
- Keys to Success in Starting a New Ministry
- Art, Faith, and Culture
- Building Healthy Friendships